When buying a new bike, you need to consider where you want to ride. If you want to go off road often, then you will need a sturdy bike. You will have to choose between a BMX bike and a mountain bike since these two are the strongest. However, these bikes have different features which means that you need to choose wisely. And this BMX vs mountain bike guide is here to help you decide.
In terms of versatility, mountain bikes are the most versatile which means that they are ideal for all terrains. Unlike other bikes, these contain between 21-24 gears and speeds making them very reliable on flat surfaces, descents, and steep climbs. They come in different tire sizes making them ideal for riders with different heights. Below are the major benefits of mountain bikes.
Why are mountain bikes so popular?
- Versatility– The major benefit of mountain bikes is that they are more versatile than other bikes. This means that you can use them even on tough terrains and rough surfaces.
- Comfortable– Unlike BMX bikes, mountain bikes have a suspension system which makes them comfortable to ride on different terrains.
- Different gears– They are also equipped with more gears and speeds for easier riding.
What are the disadvantages of mountain bikes?
- Expensive– Due to their heavy-duty construction, they are a bit expensive than other bikes.
- Repairs– When it comes to repairs, these bikes are not easy to repair since they have different and complex components like gears.
- Heavy– They are heavy meaning that they are not easy to transport.
Compared to other types of bikes, these are the strongest. They have a compact frame which makes them ideal for kids. Adults or tall riders should stand when riding to achieve high speeds. Some of the major benefits of BMX bikes include;
- Lightweight – If you are searching for a bike you can ride just for fun, BMX bikes will give you the best experience. Despite their robust construction, these bikes are very lightweight and easy to ride.
- Affordable price – Comparing them with mountain bikes in terms of price, BMX bikes are less expensive.
- Less repair – Another benefit of these single-speed bikes is that they have fewer components like gears which means they require minimal repairs.
- Ideal for tough conditions – You can use them in tough conditions or urban environments to do tricks. You can also use them to maneuver BMX tracks and skate parks.
What are the disadvantages of BMX Bikes?
- They are not the best for climbing hills since they have a single speed.
- They do not have a suspension and this means that they are not very comfortable.
- They are not the best for in-saddle riding.
BMX vs Mountain Bike: What are their differences?
In terms of construction, BMX and mountain bikes are the strongest. However, they have different features as we will explain below.
- Frame – BMX bikes are mostly used for aggressive races and jumps. As a result, they have a super-strong frame which is also lightweight. Again, they have a compact frame which makes them ideal for kids. On the other hand, mountain bikes have a larger and more flexible frame to provide smooth and comfortable rides on different terrains.
- Wheels– When it comes to wheels, most BMX bikes have compact wheels compared to mountain bikes. However, the cruiser models have up to 24 inches wheels. The good thing about BMX wheels is that they are very strong enabling them to adapt easily to changes in directions. You will also find that most of them are laced to enhance resilience and strength when landing. Mountain bike wheels are very strong and are built to provide a smooth rolling performance on off-road trails, rocks, roots, logs, and other obstacles. Most of them are equipped with 27.5 wheels although there are some models which use 26-inch wheels.
- Brakes – Most BMX bikes contain a rear caliper brake which allows you to control the altitude and speed of the bike especially when handling jumps, whops or when taking corners. On the other hand, MTBs are equipped with either disc or caliper brakes. The advanced models contain both brake systems which makes them powerful when you are riding through mud or water.
- Gears – Unlike mountain bikes which have up to 24 gears, BMX bikes contain only one-speed gear. Thanks to its many gears, mountain bikes allow you to ride comfortably on all terrains. You can maintain an ideal cadence when on descents, steep climbs, or when cycling on flat surfaces.
- Suspension – If you are among those who love aggressive cycling, BMX bikes are the best since they do not have a suspension giving you maximum power and thrust when sprinting. Their body and wheels are uniquely designed to absorb impact. When it comes to mountain bikes, some of them come in a full-suspension system while some cheaper models have a single suspension system. The suspension absorbs shock more effectively when riding on bumps and off-road trails. Riding a bike without suspension is very risky because you can easily lose grip on the handlebar on hard bumps.
When it comes to BMX vs mountain bikes, the choice is easy. BMX bikes are most suitable for sports that involve jumps and sprints while MTBs are the best for tough terrains. In terms of design, BMX bikes have a smaller frame as compared to mountain bikes which makes them ideal for kids.